Mastering the nut and bolts takes dedication, engagement and practice.
Time left at end of class? Go to Excercise Central for AP Style and do some exercises.
Or, if that does not interest you, check out these sites:
- Newsroom 101: Exercises in Grammar, Usage and Associated Press Style
- If you look at no other, look at this one. (When it asks for your Newsroom 101 name, just hit "OK" twice and you are in.)
- The Tongue Untied
- Interactive Quizzes
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
- Modern English Grammar: A Hypertext Book
- A Spelling Test
- More Spelling
- Purdue Writing Lab
- Copydesk.org quizzes
- The Grouchy Grammarian